Jesus. Others. You...A TAP CHALLENGE
Updated: Jun 29, 2020
We have been praying for all of you: campers, parents, alumni, staff. We know first-hand from some of you how your lives have changed quickly. Many of you are now studying on-line at home. Some of you were studying abroad and have returned home. Perhaps some of you are dealing with some disappointment at an athletic season lost, etc...Those things are hard.
We want to remind you that though your circumstances might be different, God says, "I the Lord do not change." -Malachi 3:6
How comforting to know that we serve a God who is stable, who is the Ancient of Days, in the midst of uncertainty.
Well...I wanted to let you know that we have put together a Tap Challenge of sorts. This challenge is different in that it's not meant to be FULLY completed. It's just meant for you to pick and choose what is going to be fruitful in your life right now and to get your creative juices flowing.
Mostly, it's a call to place your gaze on Jesus, to focus on others, and to cultivate some healthy habits that will stick with you.
We can't wait to hear from you how you took this challenge to heart. E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
With love in Christ,
Miss Joy and Miss Claire
TAP Challenge March 2020
Jesus. Others. You.
Ideas to Help You Pursue Jesus and Joy in This Time
(Note: These are just ideas to help you. You won’t be able to do everything on this list. It’s merely meant to give you some ideas to help you fill your time with good things).
FOCUS ON JESUS
“The Lord is my Shepherd. I lack nothing.” –Psalm 23:1
“If Christ is all I have, I have all I need.”
· Write out a portion of Scripture every day for 4 days/week (This can be word for word or you can summarize). In particular, look for the character of God in what you are studying (His love, His goodness, His kindness, His power, His all-knowing wisdom, His justice). This passage of Scripture can be however long you want it to be. We’re going for quality time with Jesus…it doesn’t have to be about quantity.
o Get creative. You can do artistic lettering and a watercolor painting, but the main objective is to write out a section of verses.
o As Anne Graham Lotz says: Study Scripture this way.
- Look at the passage: Read God’s Word
- List the facts: What does God’s Word say?
- Learn the lessons: What does God’s Word mean?
- Listen to His whispers: What does God’s Word mean in my life?
Here are some suggested passages.
o Since we will be studying the book of Matthew this summer, work through the Gospel of Matthew. Start with chapter 6 since our theme verse comes from there. (Matthew 6:33).
o “The Romans Road” Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9-10, 10:13
o Luke 9:23, Luke 14:33 “Taking Up Our Cross to Follow Him”
o John 14:6 “Jesus is the Only Way”
o John 15 “Abiding in Jesus”
o 1 John 1:5-9 “Thank God for Forgiveness”
o Ephesians 2:8-10 “Put Good Works in Perspective”
o Galatians 6:16-25 “Keep in Step with the Spirit”
o Psalm 119:9-11 “Learn God’s Word to Stay Pure”
o Ephesians 6:10-20 “Put on the Armor of God”
o Philippians 4:6-7 “Seek God for Peace”
o 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 “Practice Godly Love”
o Matthew 28:18-20 “Obey Christ’s Commission”
· Memorize 5 verses in the next two weeks (see the list above)
· Cling to Jesus. Be like the woman who was desperate for Jesus and knew that if she could just touch the fringes of His garment, she would be healed.
· Ask Jesus to: “Search me, God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” –Psalm 139:23-24
o Tell God how you’re feeling and ask Him to help you with whatever that is. He already knows and wants you to come to Him.
· Write out the words to Jordan Kauflin’s song: “All I Have is Christ”
Focus on Others
“Think others first.” –WinShape Teams
“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority…Live as free people, but do not use your freedom…live as servants of God…Love the brotherhood of believers.” 1 Peter 2:13-25
Be salt and light. “You ARE the salt of the earth….You ARE the light of the world…Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” –Matthew 5:13-16
· Cultivate a prayer life that is DEEP: Adore God. Confess. Thank Him. Pray for yourself and others.
· During this time, listen to the authorities. That’s your parents, teachers, etc. They want what’s best for YOU and for others as well.
· During this time also, figure out ways you CAN serve.
o Serve your parents:
- Clean your room
- Do the dishes
- Walk the dog
o Love your siblings
- Volunteer to do something they love to do.
o If it’s safe to do so, allowed in your region, and your parents say it’s okay…(All of those are important)
- Rake your neighbor’s yard.
- Facetime a neighbor or someone you know could use encouragement.
- Write encouraging notes to people.
· Teach your family a Tap song (if you’re new to Tap and don’t know any songs, sing a hymn or worship song together) OR sing a Tap song at the top of your lungs (or worship song/hymn) in an appropriate setting.
Here are some ideas of songs:
o King Jesus is All
o Hail Jesus You’re My King
o I’m Adopted by the King
· Let the choices of what you’re taking in, be healthy (Let what you’re watching be healthy and have time limits. Let what you’re hearing be uplifting. Listen to worship music. Taste and see that the Lord is good: Eat good, nourishing, healthy food: Fruits, veggies.)
o Recommended worship music:
- Shane and Shane – Psalms, Vol. 2
- Shane and Shane – Hymns Live
- “All I Have is Christ” – written by Jordan Kauflin
- “Ancient of Days” – City Alight
- “Is He Worthy?” – Andrew Peterson
· Exercise. Take a short video of yourself doing a “Tap exercise” and send it to us.
· “Make each day your masterpiece.” –John Wooden
o Use this time intentionally: Write out a plan, a map, or a calendar of how you want to glorify God in your time at home or in whatever you’re doing in these next two weeks.
o Example: I want to be intentional about my time.
- I will limit my social media to… (an amount of time per day, a certain timeslot each day)
- I will stay physically active by… (workout, pushups, walk – Keep social distancing in mind).
· Send a prayer request to this e-mail: email@example.com We will pray for you.
· Cultivate an attitude of gratitude. “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
o Start a “Thanksgiving” journal.
· “Drink deeply from good books – especially the Bible.” –John Wooden
o Books to Read:
- Amy Carmichael’s biography
- Hinds’ Feet on High Places – Hannah Hurnard
- The Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom
- For those who are older (15 and up): Jesus in Me – Anne Graham Lotz
We love you, Tap girls! Tell us how you are seeking to glorify God in this time.